Downtown Dalton Art Park
1000 Words is leading a project to transform the parking deck behind the Landmark Building in Downtown Dalton (105 S Hamilton Street) into a functional art park, showcasing the art of local amateur artists. This space will do double duty as a parking deck and an outdoor weatherproof event space.
We invite local artists and organizations to submit mural designs for this project. Prior mural experience is not required, as the 1000 Words team will be available to guide you through the process. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through: April 15th, 2017.
Steps to Claim your column in the art park:
- Form your team. This can be a local school, scouting troop, group of friends, etc. Individuals can also submit designs. Each team will need to appoint a team leader. This leader will act as a liaison between the 1000 Words and their team.
- Develop a design. Each square column is 18” on each side. The designs will be 12’ tall (not the entire height of the column). Designs can be hand-drawn or digitally rendered.
- Submit your design and story behind the design to 1000wordsdalton.com. Each design will need to be pre-approved by the 1000 Words Steering Team and the City of Dalton Mayor and Council. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through: April 15th, 2017.
- Recruit a sponsor (optional, but encouraged). We are asking sponsors to donate $300-$500 per column for paint and supplies. These generous sponsors will be recognized as “Pillars of the Community” at the Art Park and on our website (1000wordsdalton.com).
- Painting Party! All selected artists/teams will meet on-location to cover project specifics and answer questions.
- That’s a wrap! We will have a celebration for everyone involved in the project after completion. This will be a great opportunity to showcase your hard work to friends and family. All columns are expected to be complete by May 31st, 2017.
- **Thanks to a matching grant from the Georgia Council for the Arts, we hope to be able to reimburse each artist team up to $600 for their time and supplies. Due to the grant structure, this reimbursement can only be paid in July/August 2017, upon completion of the Art Park. Your column must be fully complete and sealed to receive the reimbursement.
- This is a community project, meant to bring people together in a creative, fun way. The spirit of this project is to reinforce that we are all members of one, larger community, not individual organizations. Please no blatant advertising, offending pictures/words, political or religious themes.
- We would like each artwork to have a story or theme related to the Dalton area.
- The finished mural must not be altered from the original design concept submitted, without prior approval.
- The 1000 Words Steering Team will assign column locations to each group.
Downtown Dalton Art Park sponsors include:
- Community Foundation of Northwest Georgia
- Georgia Council for the Arts & National Endowment for the Arts*
- Shaw Industries
- Cathy & Steve Snyder
- Westwood School
- Creative Arts Guild
- Alpha & Omega Insurance
- Dalton Civitan Club
(*The Downtown Dalton Art Park is supported in part by the Georgia Council for the Arts through the appropriations of the Georgia General Assembly. GCA also receives support from its partner agency - the National Endowment for the Arts.)