What is the “1000 Words” project?
A new initiative to promote and accelerate the growth of public art in Dalton. The initiative will partner local artists with the funding, location and community volunteers to create murals and sculpture around town. We want to give Dalton a voice through public art, accelerate beautification, instill pride in our community & inspire the next generation.
What are the benefits?
- Community Identity - Further define our town’s identity and create a sense of place.
- Cultural Value - Bring groups together to create art that defines our community and creates a sense of attachment.
- Economic Growth - Beauty and inspiration attract people; people to shop, dine and play in our community, thus keeping the revenue local.
- Accessibility of Art - Public art is FREE for all.
How will the process work?
- The steering team will oversee the strategic direction of the program and select individual projects.
- The project manager will develop a budget, timeline, recruit volunteers and be the main contact for any questions regarding the project.
- The local artist will develop the art proof and supervise the creation of the work.
- The location owner will provide the blank canvas for the group to work with.
- The community volunteers will help to prep, create, and maintain the art. These can be schools, community groups or individuals.
- Finally, our sponsors provide the much needed capital to make it all happen.
How can I help?
We are looking for advocates, project managers, artists, sponsors, location owners and volunteers. Join our Facebook page “1000 Words - Dalton Public Art Project” or contact us at email@example.com to get involved!